I'm With The (Lap) Band

Saturday, December 11, 2004

I'm a Bandster!

Ok...sorry this is a little late for those of you who watch this page.

I was banded on Wednesday, December 8. I was there bright and early at 8 am and by 9 am, they had me back in the back, getting ready.

As usual, it took about 4 sticks to get my IV going - and I have about 3 lovely bruises to show for it.

One of my pastors - Kyung - was there to be with Alek and my Mom before I went in and came back and prayed with us prior to surgery. Definitely helped calm me down a bit after being the human pincushion. (I really need to write about our new church some day - can't remember if I have. It's awesome!)

The Anesthesiologist came in and put something in the IV and I remember my head falling back, Mama asking me if I was feeling it and that's it.

I woke up about 11 am - wondering if they had done it already.

Then, it was a waiting game. My back hurt like hell, my mouth was super dry and I wanted out of that bed. I was the surgeon's only surgery that day, so he went back to his office during my recovery to meet with patients - and while I should have been out of there around 2 or so, it was almost 4:15 pm before he could get back to review my post-op x-ray. I couldn't take a drink or any pain meds until he did that.

My back STILL doesn't feel right. BUT, I usually have referred pain to my back. So, while my tummy and front don't hurt that much, my back is killing me. This may be a blessing - but I'm not too sure right now.

Now, for the statistics. As I went into surgery, after 3 weeks on the Myocel and lean meat and 1-2 carbs per day, I had lost 21.5 lbs.

Someday, I'll be comfortable letting people know where my starting point is - but for now, just know I'm already a loser. I've been told that as I'm able to add real food to my diet in a couple of weeks - right now I'm on nasty broth and yogurt and water and protein drinks - I'll gain some - if not all of that back - since I'll have no restriction in my band. I hope I can keep from doing that - but will not be too disappointed if that happens. I know that this is a process - not a race. I'm going to get there - it just won't be tomorrow. It will be a healthy, steady process!

1 Comments:

  • Liz,
    I've been checking this site for the past few days. Glad to hear your surgery went fine, and that you are up and around. Keep posting to the blog.
    Joanne W.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home