I'm With The (Lap) Band

Monday, October 10, 2005

Walking the State Fair

Alek & I took our 8 year old nephew (Matt) to the Fair with us for a couple of hours while Mama went to a church up in Frisco.

While we were looking at the map of the fairgrounds so I could tell her which gate to meet us at, I caught a glimpse of who was going to be at the fair yesterday.

One of the things Matt loves to do with his Daddy is watch this show called "Mail Call" on the History Channel. Not sure exactly what it's about, but this old Marine is the host of the show. Matt LOVES the Mail Call guy (R. Lee Ermey). The Mail Call Guy was at the Fair yesterday from 10 - noon. It was 10:30 when we left the house.

I wouldn't tell Matt who we might see - didn't want to disappoint him - because I didn't know if we could make it there by noon. Thankfully, I know backroads ('cause I'm the Navigation Queen) and we parked in almost the last row available on the back lot. We parked at 11:05. By the time we got wanded into the ticket line, stood in line for tickets and got through the gate, it was 11:16. I thought, there is no way we're going to make it to that building by noon. It was on the exact opposite side of the fair from where we were.

I grabbed Matt's hand and we started barrelling through the fairgrounds - that's just the best way to describe it...barrelling through. I couldn't believe it that I had him standing in front of Mail Call Guy at 11:33. The look on that little boy's face when he realized who it was was PRICELESS!

There is NO WAY I could have made that distance in 17 minutes a year and 73 pounds ago...and if I had, there is no way I would have made it through another 8 1/2 hours at the fair before telling Alek - I'm ready to go home.

Across the parking lot - where I thought there would be a tram to the car - there wasn't - Alek kept telling me that I could make it...I wasn't convinced. I was so tired and sore - and couldn't get out of the chair to go to bed last night - but I did it.

Now I want to know how far I walked! There were signs up saying that you could get that info somewhere in the park - but I never found it.

I wished I had had my pedometer on me...

2 Comments:

  • What a wonderful NSV, my friend. You should be sooo proud of yourself. That's a memory your nephew will have the rest of his life. My hat is off to you Liz. Keep up the good work because you're an inspiration to a bander who kind of fell to the side of the road but am up and running again. Ice cream was my downfall, but no more. thanks for your journal!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 PM  

  • Liz, That is great! I am sure Matt enjoyed every minute of it!

    By Blogger Salaam & Shanti Bariatric Yoga, at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home